Internship Resources Center
Cover Letter Tips
- Your cover letters should be no longer than one page, 12 point font.
- Match the header to the header on your resume for consistency.
- Don’t use the same letter for every position. Take the time to tailor the final version to each office.
- Don’t repeat what your resume says. Use the letter to explain what you’ve done, and how these skills make you a good applicant.
- Address the letter to the hiring manager or internship coordinator.
- Have a clear beginning, middle and end.
- If your university/college has a writing center, make an appointment to go over your cover letter with a professional.
Examples and resources
- Should be no longer than one page, 12 point font.
- Have a clean and consistent format, but do not be afraid to tailor it to your specific needs.
- Triple check personal information, spelling, and grammar.
- Only include activities after high school, if possible. For example, if you attend college only include college information and events.
- If your university/college has a career center, make an appointment to go over your cover letter with a professional.
examples and resources
- Do your research, know about the Office’s positions on various bills and issues.
- If asked about your viewpoints, be honest. You don’t need to agree 100% with the views of the office. Individuality helps an office thrive.
- Plan on arriving 5-10 minutes early.
- If it’s in-person, dress professionally:
- Men: slacks, jacket, and tie
- Women: dress or blouse and slacks with a jacket
- If it’s over the phone, ensure you are in a quiet area with a good connection, do a test call to friends or family beforehand.
- If you don’t know how to answer a question, ask to be given time to think about it.
- Be human.
- Send a follow-up thank you note to the person who interviewed you.
Tell Your Story
If you have experience with an unpaid internship, you can tell us about your story here. Requests for anonymity will be honored. If you would like to share your identity, the campaign might reach out to you for further information.
Fill out the form this form or email us directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org